25 April 2010

Lateral Golf

Golf is, I should think, a lateral enough pursuit without me tinkering with it. But there's still one thing I've been meaning to do; and one day, I'll do it.

I love golf, even though I'm not that good at it. Of late, my driving has been pretty decent, but my putting has not. And I cannot get out of a bunker without the aid of a shovel. I suck at bunkers. But setting the mechanics of the game to one side, the focus of this particular post is the equipment; namely, the buggy.

I have a new relatively new buggy that goes with my relatively new clubs. It replaced a buggy (which once belonged to my Father) that some mates affectionately nick-named the "Sam Snead", in honour of its considerable age. As worthy as both buggies have been, they just don't cut it, excitement-wise.

I've long wanted to play a round of golf with my clubs in a big, green SULO bin. What's not to like about this plan? For a start, it has wheels and large space in which to shove the clubs. Really, that's pretty much all a golf-buggy needs. But being a good deal larger than a golf buggy, you could put at least a carton of beer (on ice, no less) in the base of thing, and still have room for a full set of clubs, nineteen spare putters, about a thousand balls, and a good-sized sack of trash.

Some life ambitions are significant in their scope; be a good person, a good father, a good husband, publish a novel, travel the world. Others are little more winsome. One day, my buggy will be a big, green trash receptacle, and my game will ascend to a whole new level. There are great days ahead...

No comments:

Post a Comment